ASCE Sustainable Parking Lot Project
Construction is complete at the ASCE Global Headquarters parking lot. ASCE and the ASCE Foundation recognize the importance of sustainable and resilient design and construction for all infrastructure. To demonstrate its leadership and put words into action, the parking lot was renovated using low-impact development (LID) practices to reduce outflow and to improve stormwater quality discharged to the watershed.
The goal of the project was to promote sustainable infrastructure and provide a demonstration project with outdoor educational tools for members, visitors, and students to engage with and learn about sustainable infrastructure solutions.
Features of the modernized space include 6,000 square feet of permeable interlocking pavers; a courtyard area with engraved pavers, and FocalPoint® stormwater management system; a Filterra® unit; and Stormcrete® precast porous concrete parking spaces and walkways. The remainder of the parking lot — some 105,750 sq ft — was repaved with 1,241 tons of asphalt made with recycled tires, supplied by Asphalt Plus LLC. The pavement for the project included 11 lb of Elastiko® brand chemically Engineered Crumb Rubber (ECR) per ton of asphalt, which equates to roughly 722 scrap tires that were recycled and kept from landfills.
The six-story building, owned by the ASCE Foundation, has been home to ASCE since 1994 and host several thousand visiting engineer members of ASCE each year.
Learn More About the ASCE Parking Lot Project
ASCE Project Demonstrates Green Stormwater Management Techniques (Source: Slideshow Summary of CE Magazine Article, December 30, 2020)
ASCE Creates Living Classroom at Headquarters Parking Lot (Source: The Stormwater Report by the Water Environment Federation, November 25, 2020)
ASCE Headquarters Parking Lot Renovation Serves as Stormwater Management Demonstration Project (Source: ASCE Press Release, November 9, 2020)
ASCE Installs Sustainable Parking Lot (Source: Scott Struck, Ph.D., M.ASCE, ENV SP, F.EWRI, and EWRI Past-President, October 19, 2020)
Thank you to the Project Team Members working on the ASCE Sustainable Parking Lot Project.
- Matt Jones, PE, LEED® AP BD+C, Senior Principal, Magnusson Klemencic Associates (MKA)
PROJECT TEAM MEMBERS
- Frank Birney, Contech Engineered Solutions LLC, Senior Stormwater Consultant Northern Virginia, Washington DC
- Bill Buttlar, P.E., M.ASCE, Professor and Glen Barton Chair in Flexible Pavements, University of Missouri-Columbia, ASCE Foundation, Council of Trustees
- Mike Clar, P.E., D.WRE, M.ASCE, Chair, ASCE EWRI LID Committee
- Red Clark, President, Asphalt Plus, LLC
- Bryan Horr, P.E., Manager of Technical Development & Market Promotion, Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute (ICPI)
- Bryan Johnson, Project Manager, Total Development Solutions
- Karen Kabbes P.E., ENV SP, D.WRE, F.ASCE, President, Kabbes Engineering Inc. (KEI)
- Sarah Knutson, Senior Vice President, Akridge
- Ted Lewis, Senior Principal, GeoConcepts Engineering Inc., A Terracon Company
- Mark Liberati, PE, LS, Pennoni
- Ryan Moody, Environmental Compliance Specialist, Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. (WSSI)
- Gregg Novick, President, Porous Technologies, LLC
- Marcus Quigley, CEO, EcoLucid
- Michael Rolband, P.E., P.W.S., P.W.D., LEED® AP, Chief Technical Officer, Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. (WSSI)
- David R. Smith, Aff. ASCE, Technical Director, Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute (ICPI)
- Rebecca Smith-Zakowicz, PG, Staff Team Leader and Corporate Training Manager, GeoConcepts Engineering Inc., A Terracon Company
- Scott Struck, Ph.D., F.EWRI, M.ASCE, Principal, Geosyntec Consultants, ASCE EWRI, President 2020
- Anna Leigh Turner, LEED® Green Associate, Designer, LandDesign
- Neil Weinstein, PE, RLA, AICP, ASLA, M.ASCE, ENV SP, Executive Director, Low Impact Development Center, Inc.
- Susan Wolford, PLA, AICP, LEED® Green Associate, ENV SP, Regional Vice President, Pennoni
- Rob Woodman, P.E., M.ASCE, Senior Stormwater Engineer, ACF Environmental
- Christine Williams, CFRE, Aff.,M.ASCE, Executive Vice President, ASCE Foundation
- Brian Parsons, M.ASCE, Managing Director, ASCE EWRI, Chief Sustainability Officer
- Michael Sanio, F.ASCE, CAE, ENV-SP, Executive Advisor on Sustainability