Purchase of ASCE HQ Building
The ASCE Foundation was established to own and operate the ASCE Headquarters building in Reston, Virginia. In its first campaign to achieve this goal, the Foundation raised over $4 million to purchase and renovate the new headquarters building.
LEED Certification & Parking Lot Project
In 2013, the Foundation spearheaded the initiative to achieve LEED Gold Certification at the ASCE Headquarters building in Reston, Virginia. The initiative included efforts to improve the buildings utilities, increase recycling, and introduced monitoring focused on greenhouse gas emissions and irrigation.
In 2019, ASCE and the Foundation demonstrated its leadership in sustainability and resilient design and construction by renovating its Headquarters parking lot as a green stormwater infrastructure demonstration project.
The project used low-impact development (LID) practices to reduce outflow and to improve stormwater quality discharged to the watershed.
Dream Big: Engineering Our World IMAX Film
The critically acclaimed IMAX film Dream Big: Engineering Our World first opened in IMAX theaters and science centers around the world in 2017. The film has inspired a generation of students to become engineers and provided teachers with the resources needed to engage engineering concepts with their classes.
- Best Film of the Year – Giant Screen Cinema Association Awards 2017
- Best Visual Effects – Giant Screen Cinema Association Awards 2017
- Best Marketing by a Distributor – Giant Screen Cinema Association Awards 2017
- Best Educational Program – Giant Screen Cinema Association Awards 2017
- Outstanding Achievement Award – Interactive Media Awards
- Best Trailer – Best in New Media Awards
- Power of A Silver Award – American Society of Association Executives
- One of the Top 25 Newsmakers for 2017 – Engineering News-Record [ENR]
- Gold World Medal Award – New York Festivals World’s Best TV & Films Education Category
- Selected as part of the American Film Showcase – USC School of Cinematic Arts in partnership with the U.S. Department of State
- Part of the International Film Festival of Panama – Environmental Ministry of Panama
- 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
- “Great for Families” – Common Sense Media
Watch the film today on Netflix or On Demand on Vimeo
Vilas And Ingrid Mujumdar Risk and Resiliency Registration Assistance
The Foundation with the generous support of Vilas Mujumdar, D.P.A., P.E., S.E., F.SEI, Dist.M.ASCE and his wife Ingrid Mujumdar established Risk and Resiliency Registration Assistance funding for students interested in risk and resilience policy and its impact on communities. The program supported students attending the ASCE Convention and the International Conference on Sustainable Infrastructure.
Future World Vision Leadership Summit & International Coalition for Sustainable Infrastructure Launch
As part of the 2019 International Conference on Sustainable Infrastructure, the Foundation hosted the Future World Vision Leadership Summit event. The event brought together industry leaders and stakeholders to discuss and drive action in understanding and resolving the gaps and barriers to sustainable and resilient infrastructure, unlocking untapped partnerships and investments, and identifying and implementing strategies to drive innovation.
Following the Leadership Summit, the Foundation supported the launch of the International Coalition for Sustainable Infrastructure and served as the host for its leadership summit events through the end of 2020. The Foundation also provided staff support for the Coalition’s Innovation Action Track through the Spring of 2022 and in the authoring and publication of the action track’s first report Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation in Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure.
With generous support from ASCE members and their families, endowed scholarships through the ASCE Foundation provide tuition assistance for ASCE Student Members. Congratulations to the recent recipients of these scholarships, publicized on the ASCE Society Scholarships page!
Established Endowments and Awards
Robert P. Wadell Endowed Fund for Young Professional Leadership & Innovation
Established in 2019, the Wadell Endowment supports ASCE Younger Member programs that:
- Provide leadership experience and training,
- Advance their technical skills and knowledge,
- Connects them to a network of civil engineers around the world.
Jean-Louis and Janet Briaud Endowed Fund for Student Activities
Established in 2021, the Briaud Fund supports student programs and opportunities for students to experience the benefits of ASCE and become future leaders of the Society and the profession.
Vilas Mujumdar Resilience Award
This yearly award, established in 2022, will recognize and honor individuals who have made a definite contribution to the advancement of resiliency.