Student ASCE Activities Reimbursement (StAR) Fund
The ASCE Foundation is honored to offer domestic and international ASCE students the opportunity to apply for Student ASCE Activities Reimbursement funding to attend ASCE activities, including conferences, the annual convention and other meetings.
The Student Activities Reimbursement Fund (StAR) was established by the ASCE Foundation Board of Directors to assist students with expenses to participate in ASCE activities. This is a competitive application program for students who are interested in attending official ASCE conferences, the annual convention, or other ASCE meetings to advance their career, education, and leadership in the profession, community, and ASCE.
- Applicants must be members of ASCE.
- Applications must be received at least 2 months before the date of intended travel or conference or other educational event for which an award is sought.
- Deadlines for applications to be received are:
- August 1 (covering events October–December)
- October 1 (covering events January–June)
- May 1 (covering events July–September)
- Funds are awarded on a competitive basis at the discretion of the Committee on Student Members.
- Applicants are expected to demonstrate on their application form the professional benefit to be gained by participation in the ASCE related activity.
- There is no set amount for the award, but it is expected that the applicant will be able to demonstrate cost-sharing with other financial support applied for or obtained, for example, from their educational institution, their employer, their ASCE Institute, Region, Section, Branch or from other grant awarding organizations.
- A successful applicant will not be eligible for another award until a minimum of two years has lapsed.
- All successful applicants will be required to submit a report demonstrating the benefit derived from attending the event and allow their image and testimonial to be used to raise funds for the StAR award and further promote the program.
- The applicant should take all reasonable steps to collect receipts etc. and provide evidence to ASCE that the award was used for the purpose originally specified on the application.
- Awards will be paid after the event and upon receipt of proof of expenses and your report. Payments will be made by bank transfer to an account specified by the applicant. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that arrangements are in place for receipt of the award.